Thursday, March 22, 2012

Gluten Free Tabbouleh



It seems that the more you look around, the more you see gluten free products.  Is there an exploding community of people that are unable to process gluten?  Or is it some fad?  As a die hard bread lover I am sad to say it does not seem to be a fad.
But what is causing it?  What is the solution to this culinary dilemma?  


The cause, it has been suggested by some, (note: I'm not an expert, but the reasoning sounds good to me) is that we have been altering our foods so quickly in the name of higher yields and pest resistance that the wheat that is grown in the United States today bears little resemblance to that grown even at the beginning of the last century, at least to our digestive tracts.
Some of us do pretty well with the new wheat, some do not.  After all, wheat has changed radically, our bodies not so much.  Why is it that my wife can eat baguettes in Europe, but at home she gets a headache?  Hint: it's not the yeast.
So what is a gluten intolerant person to do if they still want to eat, say, tabbouleh?
The answer is Quinoa.  A tiny South American grain first domesticated about 4000 years ago, probably first eaten by man some 7000 years ago!  


Here's the kicker, the quinoa available today is almost identical to 4000 year old specimens.  Our bodies know it well and therefore have no issues with it.
When i first worked with quinoa none of us could even pronounce it correctly, it was years before someone straightened me out.  We all called it (keen-oh-ah), really it's pronounced (keen-wah).  I first tried quinoa when I was a sous chef and I had an amazing experience that I have not experienced before or since, after my first few bites of this new product, it felt like my body was saying "this is good for me".  Sound hippy-dippy, but it happened.  Once.  Ever.
So he is my recipe for gluten-free tabbouleh made with quinoa:
1 C quinoa
3 C water
2 tsp kosher salt - for the cooking process
2 Roma tomatoes - diced
2 bunch of parsley chopped fine
1/2 C Red Onion 
10 or so mint leaves chopped fine
3 oz extra virgin olive oil
3 oz lemon juice
Kosher salt and pepper to taste
The method is simple:
Place the quinoa, water and first measure of salt in a sauce pan, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and let it roll until almost all of the water is gone.  



Test it periodically to see if the quinoa is done earlier than expected.  Drain in a sieve, we don't want any of the water that remains.

If you are in a hurry, put the quinoa onto a sheet pan for it to cool more quickly.

While the quinoa is cooling, chop the parsley.  I like my tabbouleh to be parsley heavy.

Dice the tomatoes and red onion and add them to the parsley.




Once the quinoa has drained and cooled to room temperature add it to the parsley mixture.



 olive oil, scallions and lemon juice.  Taste and adjust your seasoning.  The last thing to add is the mint.  I add it last because it bruises so easily.  
Refrigerate and hold for service.  It's good the first day, better the second, on the third day and afterward all bets are off.  Still really good, but the second day is the best.
Oh, and I think it's better served cold.  Just my opinion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment