Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Braised Short Ribs and Shanks, Yum!


Well it is cold and rainy here, what could be better than a meal of braised beef?  We have some short ribs and some beef shanks in the freezer.  These are some of the last bits of the quarter cow we bought last year, and today seemed like the perfect day to cook them.


I learned this method of braising at Röti, a restaurant that was in the financial district of San Francisco for many years.  I think it was closed and re-branded in 98 or 99. 
Röti was a pretty special place, we had a great team, really good food and wonderful atmosphere.  
Anyway, on to the method:


I haven't ever written down this recipe as it will change depending on the amount of beef that you are braising.  Remember we are looking for the tough meat that is right next tithe bone.  The stuff with a bunch of flavor.
I start out by seasoning the pieces of meat liberally with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. 


Next dredge each piece in flour.  Since my family is gluten-free, I use rice flour, in the past all purpose flour was the choice.  



Once the pieces have been seasoned and dredged, it is time to sear it.
When I first learned how to braise, we used a minimum of oil in this process, at Röti we nearly deep fried it!
We used so much oil I was initially repulsed, but the final product won me over.  I swear by it now.
In a sauté pan with high sides pour in about 1.5"-2" of oil.  Really, I mean it.  I use my EV/canola blend.  Bring it to about 375F or until when you drop in a small pinch of flour it bubbles in the oil.
Place the dredged meat into the oil carefully, remember, there is a ton of oil in the pan and it's hot.  If your not careful you could easily burn yourself.  



Let the meat roll in there until it is really browned like this.


Turn the shanks/short ribs over and repeat as you did on the first side.  When the second side is equally browned, remove them from the oils and set aside while you continue the process with all of your remaining pieces.


Line the bottom of the pan with a yellow onion diced large, a couple carrots and a few cloves of garlic that you have crushed with the side of your knife.


The liquid I use for this preparation I use beef stock and chicken stock in equal proportions.  



Traditionally this recipe uses only beef stock but I use the mixture so that I have a finished product that is not as heavy as the all beef stock version.


Pour in your stock.  I also add some whole black pepper and bay leaves.


Cover the pan tightly with foil and place it in a 300F oven.  The braising process should take about 3-4 hours or until the shanks/short ribs are very tender.
Once you have achieved a tender product, pull the meat from the pan and pour off (or ladle) 2 quarts of the braising liquid into a sauce pan and reduce on medium to high heat.


Return the meat to the pan to hold it and allow it to stay moist while you reduce the braising liquid to make your sauce.


Now that the sauce has been reduced by at least half, place the meat onto a platter (or on individual plates if you are not serving family style) and pour your sauce into a bowl with a small ladle.


It's dinner time!  Yummy stuff and well worth the effort and time.

4 comments:

  1. Mike:

    I just want to say again that I am really enjoying lurking at your blog. Not only do I love to see some of the recipes that I've enjoyed with you and Alison over the years, but I especially love hearing some of the restaurant anecdotes you never tell!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike - looks like a great recipe. Question for you: I notice that you dredge the meat in flour first. I've seen this in a lot of recipes, particularly stews, and wonder what the pros and cons are relative to just browning the meat directly in the fat and adding a bit of flour later? What do you "get" for doing this vs. what do you give up, if anything?

    Thanks,
    Chris Miller
    Reston, VA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flour on the meat does two things, it helps in the caramelization process adding a nice flavor to the finished product and it helps to thicken the sauce slightly. You'll notice that in this recipe I do not add a roux to thicken the sauce. My reasoning is that I don't want my sauce to become too thick and clumsy and I do want my sauce to convey the flavors of the meat and my stock.

      I find that often the use of a roux if not carefully executed will make a recipe kind of dull. It can loose the vitality that it had prior to the roux's introduction.

      I think if you don't flour the meat you can still have a wonderful final product. Very bright and flavorful. Your sauce will likely be a bit thin (mine is usually a little looser in consistency than I've experience and made in restaurants), but if you use a good flavorful stock, that should not take anything away from your meal.

      Thanks for the question and have fun with your meal.

      -Mike

      Delete