Monday, February 13, 2012

Getting started

Welcome to Taste Like Chicken - What's Mike Cooking.  This blog is going to be about, food.  Not only what I am cooking, unless it's something really interesting, but also about technique, knife skills, basic and complex preparations.  I'll be showing these through photos, video and text similar to what you would find in a cookbook.

I'll also be writing from time to time about foraging for wild mushrooms (one of my all-time favorite activities), picking wild mussels at the beach and other food related adventures.  Should be a good time.

A little about me:  my name is Michael Hart and for a very long time I worked in the kitchens of San Francisco.  First as a line cook and then later as a Sous Chef, Chef and Executive Chef.  My food was well received over the years by the guests in the restaurants and hotels where I worked as a chef and also by the food critics.

For the past nine or so years I've been a General Manager of various restaurants in Portland Oregon and the surrounding area where I live now.

This blog was born in a way out of conversations that I have had of late with my friend Leslie and her desire to learn how to cook.  I recently had an opportunity to visit Leslie and her husband during which time we cooked together a in their kitchen and I realized again how much I love to teach people how to cook, just as I had done for years in the restaurants where I had been employed.  So this is what I came up with - a blog.

The title refers, as some of you may have already assumed, to that all to frequent question that is asked when someone is about to try something for the first time.  "What does it taste like?" To which invariably someone, with the best intentions answers "It tastes like chicken."  My opinion? Chicken tastes like chicken (or should).  Rabbit tastes like Rabbit.  Buffalo tastes like buffalo...You get my drift?

So, Here goes.

Today I am making French Pot Roast, see you tomorrow with details.

No comments:

Post a Comment